Earlier last year, the BeWell Youth Board visited Columbia University. Here are 8 fast facts we learned:
1) Columbia University offers a lot of financial aid opportunities. While tuition at Columbia costs a lot of money, for families making less than $60,000 annually, the cost of tuition could be free!
2) There are many options for living on campus your first year including in Carman Hall, Furnald Hall, John Jay Hall, Wallach Hall, and Hartley Hall. Most rooms are corridor-style or suite-style and you can live alone or with one other person. Harley Hall and Wallach Hall have a Living-Learning Center. This means that first years live with upperclass students who help them learn about the campus community, get involved in activities, and meet professors and alumni.
3) In college you get to schedule your own classes so you can decide when you have class. This means that you will probably only be in class a few hours a day, but you will be responsible for studying and finishing your homework on your own.
4) There are nine main dining options on the Morningside Campus, from small coffee shops to giant dining halls and every first year student gets a meal plan.
5) Columbia College has over 80 majors – there truly is something for everyone!
6) There are 22 libraries on campus, but Low Library is not one of them. Low Library actually does not have any books in it, but it has a beautiful rotunda! In 1934 the university moved 22 miles of books from Low Library to Butler Library with a giant slide and pulley system!
7) Exercise in college is very important to remain healthy when you have such a busy schedule. We learned that the Dodge Fitness Center at Columbia has gyms, basketball and squash courts, swimming pools, and workout facilities that are free for students! There is also dozens of club sports and intramurals available at Columbia.
8) Many movies have been filmed at Columbia University, including Spider-Man, The Nanny Diaries, Hitch, and Ghostbusters. Columbia is actually one of the most filmed universities.